Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Don’t look past the person in front of you

In our discipleship ministry, Master's Commission Brasil, we believe that change begins now, here, and together with you! With your monthly sponsorship, every young person engaged by our discipleship training is a divine appointment where we have an opportunity to instill confidence that someone cares what they do with their lives. Every day we are working to create as many alternatives as possible to gang involvement, violence, sexual experiences, and the use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.

We have seen many times over how a life can be altered with as simple as a single phrase, an encouraging word, or an act of kindness. – All of our staff and interns have personally realized the blessings of having someone enter our lives by a divine appointment, if only for a moment, to make a lasting impression for the rest of our lives.

For me, I can remember my fifth grade teacher, old Mrs. Barton. Every student on campus was convinced that she was the nastiest old woman on the planet and would hide in the teacher's parking lot to witness her daily landing on her broomstick. – But I knew a different Mrs. Barton. The Mrs. Barton I knew was as tender as she was tough and would spend her lunch and after school to help me and others with homework or just let a boy trying to become a man simply hang around. I can't tell you everything she said to me, although I do distinctly remember something about her "whoopin my behind"; yet there was never a visit where I didn't walk away convinced that I could conquer the world. Mrs. Savannah Barton believed in me before I ever believed in myself, and her thumbprint remains on my life to this very day.

And then there's the vice principle Mr. Sagers. Thinking about it now, and although it was never said then, I am convinced this man had a deep and intimate love for Jesus. There was something about him. I suppose just because he was the vice-principle in charge of discipline everybody was afraid of him, (it's funny how I seemed to always end up in his office), but there was something really special about Mr. Sagers. – Aside from telling you it was a "divine appointment", I can't explain why out of the entire school he asked my brother Philip and me to work for him on weekends, pulling weeds, and painting and picking up trash at an apartment complex he owned. I clearly remember how well paid we were as preteens in the late 60's. Geepers, that dude paid us some serious cash! – But more important to that, was how without saying a single word, there was something he gave us that even then I knew was more valuable than cash… he showed us a dignity and respect that I don't remember ever receiving from an adult. And it felt good too!

Mrs. Barton and Mr. Sagers may not know until we get into heaven how their acts of kindness have changed two lives. (My brother Philip is the superintendent of high schools in Sacramento; and a darned good one too! I wonder how much influence Mr. Sagers had on him.) Their unselfish kindness has made a defining impact on our lives.

As well, we are here in Brasil on a special assignment to influence and impact the lives of as many people possible; but without you it'll be tough. With your monthly support you are deciding to join us in as many intersections of life that we can get into; to be instruments of grace and unconditional love and acceptance… if only for a brief moment. And for as many as we can enroll in our discipleship program, you will be working together with us to interrupt dysfunction, launch a life in Christ or restore and heal with tenderness and words of kindness. I seriously doubt Mrs. Barton and Mr. Sagers knew what the outcomes would be for our lives, but we're wonderfully blessed that they didn't drive through our intersections without stopping. – Will you pull over to the curb and become a monthly sponsor?

No comments: