Sunday, July 5, 2009

Can Squirrels have high blood pressure?

It’s at least 5am and I am sitting on the edge of a bed in Washington, D.C. watching a squirrel dance from limb to limb with effortless ease in an ancient oak tree. As I observe his squirrely antics, I wondered to myself, “What’s that little guy thinking about while he bounces about with what appears to be a gentle grin on its face,reflecting the joy of the Lord?” – I wonder, do little guys like my friend the squirrel inherit stuff like mental disorders or high blood pressure, because from the window I’m looking through, a squirrel’s life looks a lot easier than mine.

As for me and my siblings, high blood pressure was a condition that was genetically and generously passed on at birth…. for us there was no need to work hard for it to show up; it’s always been there like a shark circling in the waters waiting for its moment to strike its prey.

And so here I sit on the edge of a bed at the crack of dawn with my blood pressure slightly elevated, staring out the window at a squirrel and wondering if he or she knows it has high blood pressure. – Thankfully my family does NOT have a history of mental disorders.

But on the serious side (and the bit about the squirrel was definitely serious), I do suspect that at this moment my blood pressure is elevated most likely because I was laying awake trying to work my way through what feels like a gazillion details for continuing the growth and expansion of Master’s Commission in Brazil. There’s no doubt it’s a daunting project and thankfully in the two years since arriving we have experienced wonderful and exciting progress. But, there is still so much more that needs to be done. Yet, in contrast to the enormous needs, we can also remember the many people whose lives we can point to as proof positive that good things are happening. The favor of the Lord has indeed been with us.

Finally, in the physical realm I must continue to effectively manage this curse of high blood pressure, and unfortunately it’s deciding to stay with me. And in the spiritual realm with the continued prayers and sacrificial financial support from family and friends, we are going to continue our efforts to express the love of God to as many people as we can…. and hopefully we can do it with a similar sense of ease as my friend the squirrel.

Please read Matthew 6:19-34

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Hey P.R. that was good. I'm miss your humor, I could see you saying these things to yourself. I'm so proud of you and your family, what you are doing is tremendously difficult. I have nothing but great things to say about you guys. I admire your courage. I love you P.R. and I'll be praying for your mental problems. Just kidding your high blood preasure. ; )

-Bruce B. Rudulph