Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It’s as complex as it looks!

With some degree of risk I took this photo inside one of the biggest, most dangerous and complicated slums I’ve ever been in. I was “hiding” when I snapped this shot because camera-carrying Gringos are not necessarily trusted or welcomed in this world where police seldom drive through.

Last week with part of our MC team, we utilized public transportation to get an inside look at this slum community where city officials estimate up to 160,000 people survive everyday.

It was complicated trying to wrap my brain around living conditions that are surrounded by opposing gangs, sewerless streets, windows without glass and doors that maybe shouldn’t be called doors. Bouncing inside the bus while trying to reconcile with my brain and emotions what my eyes so clearly saw, I wondered how in the world could I effectively describe this to you?

For Master’s Commission Brasil, this world is our classroom. From this difficult reality are we working to help transform the lives of young adults willing to learn about themselves, about our amazing God and a global responsibility to love and serve people living in unbelievable conditions as reflected in this photo.

The reason why I’m attempting to describe what is undoubtedly impossible to describe, is simply because it is your financial support and prayer that makes Master's Commission Brasil work. Without you we’ll be heading back to the suburbs.

Thanks for helping us stay here doing what we do. You and your loved ones are very welcomed to visit. We’ll make sure that you do the bus ride that we believe will change your life.

2 comments:

Kellie89 said...

This blog is a challenge to me. It should be a challenge to many other Christ followers. Thank God for people who have a heart for the Lord's work and His lost children. Thanks PR.

Heather A Suhr said...

I'm so thrilled for the MC team in Brasil for bringing in the most diverse group of people! God Bless you and the ministry. Thank you for obeying the call of God in your life. Without you, there would be kids lost and not knowing where to go. MC is a great place to be regardless of where you are! I remember being in Brasil and experiencing the real life there for a short time. These days, I am more grateful and humbled for the things that God has provided me. WOW! Take care and God Bless you!